Eating Out on Keto
Sometimes I’m asked, what do I do when I’m on vacation or out and about without a packed meal? Well there is a surprising amount of things you can eat that allow you to stick to your keto lifestyle.
Here is what I eat when I’m out (and I’ll be constantly adding to this list as I recall items I have ordered and as I discover new items to share):
Probably one of the easiest things to do on Keto.
- You can order an omelette or a scramble from just about any breakfast restaurant. Just skip out on any carby toppings or sides served with such as potatoes.
- Grab a Sausage or Egg McMuffin from McDonald’s and request no bread and for the McMuffin to be served on a plate so the cheese doesn’t get stuck to the paper. You also could just rip off the bread yourself, but if the cheese has already begun melting you will likely lose most of the cheese.
- Order a sandwich without the bread. As Keto and Low Carb diets grow in popularity, more and more sandwich places offer great choices for people trying to ditch the carbs. I like to order a “lettucewich” (sandwich wrapped in lettuce) from Which Wich, my favorite is the Wicked which is filled with various cheeses and meats. I also love going to Jersey Mike’s and ordering my favorite sandwiches in a “tub”, try ordering the Cali Club or the Chipotle Cheesesteak.
- Grab a lettuce wrapped burger or cheeseburger from practically any place that serves burgers. I have not come across a single place that won’t make some kind of accommodation if you request your burger without a bun. My favorite places are In-N-Out Burger, BJ’s Brewhouse, and Red Robin.
- Head to a Vietnamese restaurant and order Pho without the Noodles. I like to order my Pho with Rare steak in Chicken Broth because chicken broth is less fatty and I consume enough fat throughout the day. Some Vietnamese restaurants may also serve a steak and eggs type dish which I’m currently blanking on the name but I’ll figure it out and update this post later.
- Order Steak, Grilled/Roasted Chicken, or Salmon served with a salad or roasted veggies.
*Important to stay away from items that are sweet as these items are likely filled with sugar*